Raftery Returns Poetry Festival Programme – March 25th to 30th, 2022
Friday March 25th
Sean Keane Concert
- Sean Keane Concert in The Park Hotel Kiltimagh.
- Doors Open at 7pm. Show starts 7.45pm Sharp.
- Tickets €20. Available at The Park Hotel, Ryans Bar, Teach O Hora or any committee member or call Martin 087 3501626.
- 30 pm: Open Mic and Music in Teach O’Hora.
- 10am to 11.30am: creative writing workshop with Terry McDonagh and Gabriel Fitzmaurice in The Parish Hall, Kiltimagh.
- 45 to 1pm: publisher Alan Hayes (Arlen House) talks on publishing in Ireland today.
Literary walk through Killedan
- Bus leaves the Market Square at 3pm.
- Poets, Terry McDonagh, Gabriel Fitzmaurice, Colette Nic Aodha and others…ending with readings and music in the Cill Aodain graveyard.
Music Comedy & Poetry at the Theatre
- Doors open at 7.15pm. Admission €10.Starts at 8pm.
- The Town Hall Theatre: an evening of music, poetry readings with acclaimed poets, Gabriel Fitzmaurice and Colette Nic Aodha…also with special guest comedian and unforgettable entertainer, Aindrias De Staic.
- Afterwards, all come back to Kitty’s for open mic session.
Raftery Returns Cycle
- 100k cycle from Raftery’s grave in Killeeneen Co. Galway to his birthplace in Kiltimagh – following his journey in his famous poem Cill Aodain.
- Elite cyclists will cycle from his grave that morning to Claremorris arriving at 1pm where they will by joined by all cycling enthusiasts. Further stops at Balla and Ballinamore Gates before arriving in Kiltimagh at 3pm.
- A symbolic parade will take place from Keane’s Garage to the Market Square led by a horse and trap carrying Raftery.
- 9pm: Basil Burke talk on The McManus Family of Killedan House – in Langan’s Bar.
- 9pm: Seamus Corry talk on the history of Kiltimagh GAA – in Ryan’s Bar.
- 9pm: Brian McDonagh talks on ancient artifacts discovered in the area – in The Tavern Bar.