Kiltimagh GAA Club
Park Road, Kiltimagh, Co. Mayo
The first record of GAA activities in Kiltimagh is a reference to a game played at the Racecourse in Claremorris in 1884 between Milltown and Kiltimagh. The reference to this game is recorded in the Galway Centenary Book in 1984. However, it is generally accepted that football was played on a regular basis in the area, usually between teams from the different villages. In 1888 a meeting was called to form a GAA club in the town. The meeting was organised by James Regan. It was agreed to form a club and the following officers were elected: Chairman Mr E. Lavin, Treasurer Mr D. Murtagh, Secretary Mr Edmond O’Byrne Gear.
In the early years the club was known by different names, three of which were Kiltimagh John Dillons, Kiltimagh Davitts and Kiltimagh Plunkets. The club continued to make progress in the following years and in 1914 won its first title, the County Junior Championship. A member of that team, Tom Forde, was later elected Chairman of the Mayo County Board. They again won the Junior championship in 1919 but had not much success during the 1920s and little is recorded of the club’s activities during this time. However it is known that Tom Forde, Martin McNicholas, Joe and Willie Lydon and Sean Lavin all played for Mayo. Sean Lavin, of course, was the player who developed the solo-run which is still such an important part of Gaelic football.
The club grounds, Gilmartin Park are situated just on the edge of town on Park Road and the facilities include two full length playing pitches, four dressing rooms, meeting room, gym, covered stand for up to 500 spectators and ladies and gents toilets.
The club colours are Blue and White.