See & Do in Kiltimagh
RAILWAY STATION / MUSEUM
The former railway station, once the hub of activity in the life of Kiltimagh, became a derelict area after the railway finally closed in November, 1975. As the point of departure for so many of our emigrants, it has always held a special place in our affections. The area has since been tastefully restored and now boasts a wonderful sculpture park, the result of a sculpture symposium held during the summer of 1993, where sculptors of national renown, assisted by local students, completed the transformation of this delightful area.
The Town Museum and Music School are located here. Two old railway carriages are incorporated into the museum, once the goods store. This museum houses many artifacts and lore of bygone years. Also celebrated here are the distinguised careers of many of our former inhabitants whose achievements contributed to our pride and confidence in Kiltimagh. The former station master’s house is now the Mayo School of Music.
During the Summer of 1993 a Sculpture Symposium was held in Kiltimagh, whereby sculptors of national renown assisted by local students, created the 9 pieces of Sculpture on display in this Park at the old Railway Station.
THE MARKET SQUARE
From the late 19th century, Kiltimagh was a vibrant market place with the Fair Day being the highlight of the month. On this day the streets and the Square were alive with people buying and selling livestock and wares. There are a series of wall plaques here depicting the traditional activities synonymous with the old Fair Day. Also to be seen in the square is the monument to ‘Raifteiri an File’, and a magnificent piece of sculpture, ‘Eternal Spring’, by Benedict Byrne.
KILTIMAGH WETLANDS PARK
What was once green field with a small stream has been carefully and creatively turned into a little piece of paradise. The idea is to bring together a variety of plants and animals in a relatively small area, where people can learn about them, and appreciate them. The park has a wildflower section supporting such flowers as the Ragged Robin and the Kidney Vetch. There is a native tree area, where the progress of trees such as oak and larch can be monitored. The marshy area around the pond will develop with time its own natural fauna, the pond itself has been planted with some species, such as the Water Lily. We hope by providing a tranquil place, some native animals will also use the park. Various birds have been sited, e.g. the beautiful Kingfisher is visible in the evenings, trout come into the pond from the stream, and Water Hens have been seen nesting in the long rushes near the pond. A walk around the park only takes 10 minutes, but if you stop to take a look in detail, read all the information, take in the peace that nature affords you, you could spend hours here. Sit and listen to the sounds of nature. Relax and enjoy. It’s there for you.
GLORE MILL ART CENTRE
The 1913 Glore Mill is newly renovated and is open for visitors by appointment. This is the location of the mill in Anthony Raftery’s poem Cill Aodain. It is the new home of Sally McKenna’s sculpture and painting studio. Sculpture and painting are hung on original stone walls and available for sale. A seminar, conference area and art room will soon be available. Visitors are given a tour which still has the Millrace, Mill turbine and Mill machinery placed around the grounds as garden features. There are labyrinths to walk and Sally’s sculpture midst butterfly gardens featuring wild bog plants, a cottage garden and an evergreen garden for winter visitors. Labyrinth tours and talks are available year round. The Mill is open by appointment or for drop by during daytime hours if owners are home.
MAGHUS CASTLE & TÍR NA NÓG FUNPARK
A fantastic indoor play facility is available to children in Kiltimagh. Following the success of the outdoor Fun Park at Tir na nÓg, an indoor play area of approx 4,300 sq feet was built incorporating an adventure maze on 2 levels that kids love! The maze has a variety of sections that the children must make their way through, including an aerial runway, a rope bridge, a climbing “giant’s Causeway” all of which takes them to the giant 2m slide landing in the ball pond. The Murals on the walls of the play area show specially designed characters of the Sleeping Giant, Merlin the Magician and a Knight cooking breakfast with the help of a very large friend.
Located a short distance from Kiltimagh, this estate was granted to the Ormsby family by Queen Elizabeth I in the 16th century. The house was built in the 18th century and the church in 1779. Many of the Ormsby family and Lottie MacManus, a historical novelist who introduced Douglas Hyde to the area, are buried here. The church and graveyard are restored in 1996. The house is now a nursing home.
The High Fort, or Lios Ard and Ard Roi as it is known locally, is easily recognized by its line of beech trees which enable it to be seen from all access roads. It is located on the summit of a hill and this, together with its name, Ard Roi. Indicates that it was once the property of an important chieftain. At the foot of the High Fort lies the hearthstone of what was once the home of Raftery, the blind 19th century folk poet. Raftery’s poetry was never written down and, with the help of Lady Gregory and Lottie MacManus, Douglas Hyde collected and published his poetry at the turn of the 20th century. He is celebrated locally for his poem in praise of his native place, Cill Aodain, which he described as a land of milk and honey:
‘An baile a bhfasann gach nidh ann,
Ta smeara ‘s sub-craobh ann
s measarda gach sort.’
CULTRASNA FAMINE VILLAGE
2 km from the town there is an example of a ‘clumped village’. This village formation was a result of the population rise 1800-1841. Subsequently the area was sub-divided into smaller plots where the people tried to sustain a living. This type of village suffered drastically during the family 1845-1849.
OLD SCHOOLHOUSE HERITAGE CENTRE
This recently restored 19th century school now displays the remaining artifacts from the old national schools in the area. Information is provided on the various school activities of that erea.
Killedan graveyard is located about two miles from Kiltimagh. Both the 8th century cell and 12th century parish church (originally thatched) were restored in 1992, incorporating the original stone where possible. A prototype of the original cell was built by the then parish priest, Thaddeus O Flaherty, in 1779 and houses the remains of a 13th century coffin tombstone. Mass is celebrated here annually at the end of July.
- Wild Atlantic Way: http://www.wildatlanticway.com/home
- Céide Fields: www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/archaeology/ceide-fields/the-ceide-fields.html
- Turlough House: www.museum.ie/Country-Life/History-Architecture
- Croagh Patrick: www.croagh-patrick.com/
- Discover Ireland: www.discoverireland.ie
- Ireland West Airport Knock: www.irelandwestairport.com
- Trip Advisor: www.tripadvisor.ie
- Irish Rail: www.irishrail.ie
- Mayo.ie: www.mayo.ie